Monday, April 30, 2007

Random Thoughts On Random Play

Ok, I need to write something... but I can't pull any one idea out right now, so what I'm going to do is look at the shuffle I've got iTunes on right now and write about the next 10 songs... or something like that. There's a lot of Jack White, so don't say I didn't warn you.

1. More Human than Human- White Zombie. One of my favorite songs, although it can be blended with any Marilyn Manson Antichrist/Mechanical Animals era song. It's one of the songs I use to wake up, when I need to. I remember at one point, and ok, there were a lot of drugs and alcohol involved, having this song on repeat for 4 days straight. I'm still not sick of it. It makes me think of hanging out at Clubfoot and dancing and generally being silly and having some really amazing times. It's a major party song for me and it'll almost always put me in a good mood. The album cover has a tarantula on it, and a friend of mine covered it up with tape, which was really sweet, but then I spilled a drink on it, and the tape just won't stick.

2. Kiss Me Deadly-Generation X. One of the best things Billy Idol has ever done. It takes me back to the Rocky Horror days. My boyfriend at the time, turned me on to them and he loved this song. I remember getting ready to go to Rocky and listening to this as I was getting dressed. The smell associated with this is SoCo and lipstick. Falling into the Rocky feeling is still mildly uncomfortable, but if I do it in roundabout way, like with this, or the Ramones, it's almost soothing. This is connected to the good times of Rocky, and it's worth reliving those memories. But I still say if I had a kid and they said "Mom, I'm either shooting heroin or doing RHPS", I'd recommend the drugs.

3. Revolution-Stone Temple Pilots. I'm a sucker for covers and this one is especially good. I alternate between good covers and bad. I love them both, but this one is just great. STP was really hit or miss for me. I either love a song or hate it from them. It's never a gray area. Scott Weiland has a good voice, all oozy and dripping with a detached sarcasm and it fits this song perfectly. This was a great choice for them to cover and it's just so much fun to listen to.

4. Red Rain- The White Stripes. This makes me feel so sad for no other reason than it's a sad song. It's got great lyrics and they have some resonance in my life and it tends to make me think about those things when I hear this. The first time I heard it, I hurried past it and then it came on one day when I was in the shower and couldn't change it and I listened to it and realized why I skipped it the first time. It's a little song with big lyrics about love going bad. "If there is a lie/ Then there is a liar too" "If there is a sin/Then there is a sinner too." Among a bunch of other lyrics that occasionally hit me where it hurts. Great song though.

5. After Midnight-Fastway. Sammi Curr baby! This song and the fact that Sammi Curr was hot, makes Trick or Treat watchable. Please don't tell me that the guy who played Sammi was in the Beat It video or that he died of AIDS, I already know and don't ruin my memories dammit! I remember the huge build up in all the music magazines and on MTV about the movie and then thinking that Nikki Sixx could have played Sammi except Sammi had much better moves, Nikki's a bit awkward. But this song is still great 21 years later. Great memories, being a little metal chick...well kinda... maybe it was a punk chick..well no, maybe goth... I was something... weren't we all? Anyway, this song brings back fun memories of the times when music was a lot more fun and a lot less serious than it is now.

6. Broken Boy Soldier-The Raconteurs. The music on my myspace page. I love this song because I love broken boys. I seek them out. I always have, both romantically and in my friendships. I seem to have some sixth sense about who is broken and in what way. Romantically, it's actually a pretty clear cut list of what makes someone broken. Not sure how I do it in my friendships, but it always seem to work out the same. Birds of a feather or something like that. Back to the song. Live, Jack White sings this full throat..screaming until he's hoarse and it's just a devastating song. The studio version is wonderful too...but the live version is just so much better. I'm not usually a big fan of live albums, but I wish The Raconteurs would release one from this tour, because they fleshed out the songs so much better than they did in the studio that it's worth hearing. Or we could all just find it online....

7. I'll Tumble 4 Ya-Culture Club. This takes me back to either when I was young and fell in love with Boy George's voice...a passion that continues to this day, or to the Clubfoot days. Either way, good memories, happy times and Boy George needs to sing again.

8. Heroin-Velvet Underground. We used to use the end of this song to clear people out of a record store I used to work at. It worked every time. I hate Lou Reed, but I love this song.

9. Remedy-The Black Crowes. God, I wanted this album to come out so bad. I was in the middle of a Black Crowes obsession and this was the first single off the new album. I was working in another record store with a guy who looked like a cleaner Chris Robinson, who I had a huge crush on...the guy, not Chris Robinson...ok Chris Robinson too...until the beard anyway. The guy was amazing... beautiful, smart, a musician with fantastic taste in music. This song, wasn't as great as the guy, but was probably a zillion times better than Chris Robinson. It's a great song and I remember loving the video. I think I still have it somewhere, I'm going to go find it after this.

10. Apple Blossom- White Stripes. Pretty pretty song. It actually brings up feelings of sadness. It's a romantic happy song and girls who fall for broken boys don't get romance. It's a rule. Girls who love broken boys get heartache. They get deep obsessive declarations of love as the boys are torching their heart with a flamethrower. They get to be treated horribly by broken boys who just want to prove that they're not broken. They get abandoned by boys who are terrified of being alone, only to have those same boys call in the middle of the night, wasted and more broken than ever, babbling incoherently of love and hate and pain...they all think they're so deep. They do not get romance or romantic love.... ever. There just are no hearts and flowers. A broken boy will not think of romance. So, the happy pretty song hits a nerve.

That's it....
Later

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All boy soldiers aren't broken.

The Vapid Voice said...

Good explanations and I have no idea of most of those songs, so I'll trust ya. Nicely posed though. Your life in listless lists?

Galena Alyson Canada said...

Hi Wendi, so you're a fellow list-maker, eh? I have these yellow stickies all over hell...sometimes I find one from months or even years ago...sometimes the items have 'resolved' and I feel good, usually they're "still on the list..." :(

Glad to see you resumed writing after a hiatus; keep it up!

(Miss)'Lena

Galena Alyson Canada said...

Thank you for reading my blog and for the lovely, encouraging note.

If I may presume upon your time and ask what parts grabbed you? What did not? Do you have any tips?

Thanks so much,
'Lena