Sunday, January 13, 2008

I really wasn't planning on writing today. I don't have much going on, and I don't feel like babbling with no apparent point like I normally do. My mail doesn't get delivered to my house, so I go get it when I remember. Today there was something in there that just made me laugh.
It was a wedding invitation from someone I used to work with. To be completely honest, I don't even remember the person all that well, but that isn't the point. What struck me as funny was the invitation itself.
It looked like a normal invite, until you opened it and in big bold letters it said, "Please do not attend this wedding unless you have a good outlook on love and romance. We do not want our special day spoiled by bad vibes from our guests."
So, I chucked it. I have a good outlook on all that, but I can't promise to have a good outlook on that day. Anything can happen between then and now. I also thought about what would happen if someone accepted the invite and then was widowed, can they still go? Or what happens if a couple gets in an argument on the way, over directions or something else stupid, do they have to turn around and go home?
I know weddings are special days, but I was mildly offended by the amount of narcissism in that statement. Isn't marrying the person you love enough? Does looking out into the sea of faces ( and since they invited me and I barely remember this guy it obviously will be a sea.) and thinking that someone may not share their opinion of love ruin that day? I've gone to a wedding completely soured on love and romance, but was genuinely happy for the people getting married, and I don't recall spoiling their day. Shouldn't that be enough? Shouldn't you just be happy that these people showed up to share your happiness without telling them how to feel? All those who choose to attend, now also have to question their dates as well, to see how they feel about love and romance. I can just see that leading to some awkward conversations.
Is this some new trend in weddings that I've missed? I know there have been some strange new things that are now considered acceptable, but this just seems nuts.
Just wanted to share. No list....

later-
me

No comments: