Sunday, December 04, 2005

Thinking Is Bad

I was planning a much cheerier and funnier post for today, good things happened yesterday, a friend got married (no I didn't go, but I'm very happy for them both.), and I finally got some desperately needed time to hang out with old friends and breathe. As these things tend to go, they made me think and thinking is usually bad. That's when things tend to twirl down to rotting corpses of dead musicians, as proven in the last post.
But that's kind of where thinking lead me to. I saw a friend that I haven't really seen in months twice in the last two days. We've had kind of an odd relationship lately, he's sure that I don't want to be friends anymore and I'm sure that because I am no longer the crashing and burning Courtney Love of our little set, that I don't fit in. So we talked and I think we got everything straightened out, which I hope will bring us closer again. He is such a good person and a dear friend that I hope this friendship can work out. We need each other... there are very few people I can discuss whether or not the world truly needed another New York Dolls reunion.
I also saw another old friend that I haven't seen in six months. Maybe we aren't friends, maybe we are, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that we have a truly indefinable connection and I'm glad he's back in my life again. He won't be for long, he drifts in and out when he feels like it, and I miss him when he's not around and I'm happy to see him when he's back. Maybe that's all there is to it, maybe there's more, but I think the simple route is the best. But I do wish he'd drift in more.
But in thinking about these people, I got to thinking about friends in general. It's so amazing the way things work out. The two people I just spoke of , I, at one point, was sure would always be in my life and in both cases I just couldn't imagine them being not in my life. Now I see that people grow and change and aren't the same people they once were and sometimes you can't go back again. I wanted to spend my life with one of them once, and I guess I am, just in a different way than I was hoping for. We're friends and that's what it is. But it is odd how life goes. Do I ever wonder "what if"? Yeah, but who doesn't? It would not have worked and friendship is the best thing we could have hoped for.
But when we look back at people in our lives, how many are there that we just thought we'd be friends or something with forever that we only think of now as names in anecdotes that we tell the people in our life now? Or how many people that we met that we thought would only be if even an acquaintance that are now our closest friends? The third person in my little outing last night is one of those. He was a friend of the person I wanted to spend my life with as I mentioned above. I just figured he wouldn't be there very long, friends of people you're dating rarely become your close friends. But,now, I can't think of what my life was like before he was in it. He's my best friend and I adore him and I laugh at myself when I think back to my original thought about him. Sometimes I am so stupid.
Today's list is on the same thing, but much more lighthearted. It's TV shows that I thought I couldn't live without but have gone to TV heaven. Thank god for DVD's and reruns, but I'd love to see these shows back.

1. Whose Line is it Anyway ( the American one)
2. Futurama
3. Stark Raving Mad
4. Wings
5. The Banana Splits
6. Barney Miller
7. Fantasy Island ( the Malcolm McDowell one)
8. Ned & Stacey ( yeah I know it's not that different than Will and Grace but Thomas Haden Church is much funnier than the guy who plays Will)
9. Eight Is Enough ( yeah I know, don't ask)
10. The D.A. ( That was such a great show and it was only 4 episodes..I really liked that one)
11. Everybody Loves Raymond (Sorry, I really liked that show)

Anyway, That's it
Bye

No comments: